Wednesday, June 4, 2014

About Dinner Last Night........Penne with Creamy Tomato and Turkey Bolognese


At the age we are now, and mostly married, a lot of my girlfriends cook dinner for their husbands/families on a regular basis. Everyone ranges from being a total shortcut type cook to the girls that make everything, and I mean EVERYTHING from scratch.

Me? I fall somewhere right in between. I like to make my own salad dressings, and I prefer to use as many fresh ingredients as possible, while keeping the pre-prepared items to a minimum.

One area where I almost always take a short cut is marinara sauce.

I usually start out with an olive oil, minced garlic and onion base and sautee them and then add in my jarred sauce. This way, I feel like I've at least contributed some fresh ingredients.

At Trader Joe's on Monday, I stumbled across this Creamy Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce and couldn't resist. I was out of garlic, so I chopped red onion and basil and sauteed in olive oil, followed by ground turkey and garlic salt/pepper. 

I would usually use ground beef in my sauce, but I'm so glad I used turkey because it balanced out the richness of the sauce.



 
When all was said and done, I ladled the sauce over penne pasta and grated parmesan over the top.

It was sooooo delicious and totally quick and easy.



No comments: