Friday, June 18, 2010

Life Decoration..... Dining-Ware


House Beautiful via Style Redux Blog


I have a female disease. One that I probably inherited from my mother. I'll call it china-holic-itis. The love/addiction to/ and general need for lots and lots of beautiful dining-ware! I can wonder around in Anthropologie, Williams-Sonoma, Neimans, and Pottery Barn for hours on end, just fawning over their dinnerware, flatware, and glassware. As of right now my kitchen cabinets house plain white dinner plates, a few vintage pieces, assorted colorful bowls and tons and tons of glasses. Really, it's an addiction.

Here are some of my new faves from Anthropologie. What did we do before that store?

These latte bowls are amazing. Cereal, Soup, Ice Cream....Whatever. Very french.... All different colors.

I actually bought these ikat bowls last year. Two orange, two green. My mom gave me my grandmother's china from the 60's (yes, I was THRILLED!) which is white with a gold scalloped rim, so I thought they'd give a modern touch to that!

LOVE these beveled tumblers. They're acrylic to ward off breakage, but so chic.




When I register, whenever that may be, I want tons of white everyday dinnerware. I just love it, and it's my personal opinion that food just looks/tastes better on plain white plates. These designs are from Pottery Barn. Which is your fave?

Also when I register, I want this Alton Flatware from Williams-Sonoma. It's handwash only, but since Brian and I have a deal ( I cook, he cleans.) I think I'll be ok. I love how french it is. Gorgeous burnished pewter handles, I'm sure they'll just get more beautiful with age.

SO. Let's picture my perfectly set, everyday dining table. Farmhouse distressed wood table, Hemstitched Pottery Barn Cream Linen Runner (see below), Round Hemp Placemats (very similar to those below from PB), Cream/Gold Scalloped Plates, Ikat Bowls, Alton Flatware, and Beveled Tumblers. Perhaps some Mint Julep Cups (sb) for water. Thoughts?

I made this Recipe tonight. Real Simple is my favorite source for recipes. If you ever need a great one, go to the website. Salad Nicoise is a pretty traditional dish, but usually paired with tuna. The salmon version is equally delicious. Great for when you want a light meal. Brian LOVED it. Trump was jealous.

Salmon Nicoise Salad

Serves 4Hands-On Time: 15mTotal Time: 30m

Ingredients

  • 1 pound new potatoes, scrubbed
  • 1/4 cup mixed chopped herbs such as parsley, chives, or dill
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 large head Boston lettuce, leaves washed and dried
  • 1/4 pound cooked green beans
  • 2 6-ounce skinless salmon fillets
  • 2 hard-cooked eggs, cut in half
  • 1/4 cup nicoise olives (2 ounces)
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Directions

  1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, heat the broiler. Coat the salmon fillets with the oil and season with the 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Broil 10 to 12 minutes, until just cooked through. Let cool, then flake with a fork.
  3. Whisk together the chopped herbs, mustard, lemon juice, remaining oil and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
  4. Remove the potatoes from the pot and cut them in half when they are cool enough to handle. Arrange the lettuce, potatoes, and green beans on 4 plates. Top each with the salmon, eggs, and olives. Drizzle with the dressing and serve.
By Kay Chun, September 2002

One last thing....

Congrats to my friends Katie and B.J. who got engaged this afternoon in the wine country outside of San Francisco. The most precious high-school sweethearts I have ever had the priveledge of knowing... I know you two will be deliriously happy together. Love ya'll!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your page. The receipe sounds delicious.

swanananana said...

We love you Macky!!!