Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Cooking Ahead


In an effort to save money and kind of control the amount of crap that goes 
into our bodies, one of my New Year's resolutions this January was to cook more.

I work late a lot, and this resolution was probably doomed to fail from the start.
Nothing inspires a desperate search for bad/expensive take-out like getting home at 9 pm.

I've found that we stick to the "eating at home" thing most when I cook something on Sunday that we can eat for the better part of the week. 

This Sunday I made two recipes from RealSimple.com, which is the best source for 
easy, cheap and SIMPLE meal ideas.

So I made Macaroni and Cheese with Cauliflower and their Easy Meatballs.

Delicious and (somewhat) nutritious.

I love how they sneak in the veggie intake with cauliflower.

I follow the recipe pretty much exactly, except I double it, and 
add about 1 1/2 cups of asiago or parmesan.

And the recipe for the Easy Meatballs.

We've just been heating up the macaroni and adding a little jarred marinara to the meatballs
and I've been sautéing a veggie each night to go with. So far I've added asparagus and garlic spinach to the mix.


By the way, can we talk about how much I want this pewter flatware?



I think it's just timeless, will wear well and go with everything.


They have a similar version at Pottery Barn
but I'm not sure I like it as much.


And this pretty set from Neiman Marcus.

If anyone has any other great "cook-ahead" recipes---Send them my way!

No comments: