Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Snow Days Make Me Want....SPA DAYS!

It's likely the freezing weather here in Texas, but I am dying for a spa day.

Not a massage (because they creep me out) but a facial, mani/pedi/steam, etc.

It got me thinking about the good, bad, and often the ugly of spa decor.

If I were hired to decorate a spa, I would be intent on making it three things

Chic, Relaxing, and Inviting.

For me, this translates to calming colors: Grey, Cream, and Beige.

To add a little contrast, I would throw in dark hardwood floor, a dark cherry-wood greeting counter and a few touches of dark wood furniture.

Inspiration for the perfect spa space:

I am horrible about saving links and have NO clue where these pictures came from!
If they're yours, please claim them and I'll give credit!

 images via

After having dark hardwoods and a cherrywood counter installed, my next order of business would be some FABULOUS wallpaper.

I think a white/cream wallpaper would be just the ticket.

I am SWOONing over this white trellis from Schumacher
It's hard to see it in it's full glory in this photo, but take a gander at it in the room below.

 It would be a perfect contrast with the dark floors

Because I have extreme design ADD and always need other options, 
here are two other choices from Schumacher

 Next Step: Two white couches facing each other in the "waiting area"

 World Market for the spa on a budget

 Or a slightly higher end tufted version from Home Decorators
I'm also partial to this one from Wisteria

A coffee table between the couches could go a few different ways.

Industrial from Home Decorators

 A dark wood version, also from Home Decorators

The distressed wood/iron version from Restoration Hardware

 Or even a cream tufted one with nailheads

If we went super modern, we could use this one from CB2

 To add a little grandeur to the waiting area, I would add a pretty french chair

I love either of these options from Wisteria

A spa needs shelves to hold their fabulous beauty products, So I would add a few french Industrial versions

Behind the cherrywood counter (which would be topped with grey carrera marble) I would add a large mercury glass mirror
It would add a pretty french flair

Love this one at ABC Kitchen in NYC

Over the counter I would add a few pendant lights like these from Mothology

Or this one.

 or these gorgeous fixtures from Horchow

The waiting area would need a gorgeous light fixture as well.

 For a modern edge you could add this cream drum pendant light

 Or this gorgeous crystal chandelier

 Or this playful capiz pendant

To flank one of the couches, I would add one of these lamps on each side table

 Pottery Barn

For Side tables....

 We could go Industrial

 Or fun.....

 Or sculptural....
 Or modern....

I love this white cowhide rug for the seating area

But classic seagrass always fits nicely.

Add a few black and white photos, yummy smelling candles, and a stack of coffee table books....

And you're in business.

Doesn't a spa day sound just LOVELY?

No comments: